Saturday, March 24, 2012

Molding. Super Hero Style.

Couple weeks back, I got a call from one of my sisters-in-laws.

And you know I love my sisters-in-laws.

Except for that one SIL. The one who's gonna get punched in the face one of these days. . .

I kidd.
Or do I?

Anywho, I got a call from my SIL, and she was calling in reinforcements, yo. See, she had a ginormous, surprise party she was planning, and she wanted a couple things done in her house.

So I headed on over. Massive amounts of lumber in hands, nailgun in the other, and air compressor in the other.
(how many hands is that??)


See, my bro and sis in law recently changed out the carpet in their dining room for this beautiful, bEE-utiful cherry wood, and got a fabulous new dining table.

But she wanted something . . . more. Just a little molding in there. And so, we got to work. Obviously. Since I snapped the pic after I had already dumped all my handseses of lumber/tools down on her floor.

I'm tellin' you,

we were like a super hero duo. Like, Wonder Woman and Super Girl tag team. Undies over the pants 'n all. We busted out this project in, like, under 3 hours. We were putting trim down before the compressor was even finished filling up, we were that fast.

It was a beautiful thing.

Trimmed out the window in there, and we used my usual 1/4 inch plywood "wainscoting" (I use the term loosely, ahem) treatment, and this project cost us a whopping $22. Price of the plywood, yo.

Wanna see it all done? 'Cause I stood back, and went. . . Whoa.

Oh, wait. WAIT. Keep yer pants on. I have to show you the birthday cake she made for this aforementioned party.

It's freaking amazeballs.

Wow. Mad skills. But you know, I've got um. . . bow hunting skills.

So there's that.

Okay! So. . .the dining room:

Not bad for 3 hours (plus the 10,000 more hours it took my SIL to paint it, cough) right?

Well dang-- now I want a dining room.

16 comments:

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

It looks like you and your sister-in-law both have some mad skills! I love how the dining room turned out, very beautiful. And that cake looks amazing too.

SueAnn said...

Darn!! I want one now too! It is gorgeous!! Well done girls.
Hugs
SueAnn

Lisa Scibilia said...

Mandi! I can't believe you whipped that out in three hours!! It looks fantastic and I've got to try your plywood trick next time......ya can't beat that price tag!! How lucky is your sister in law to have you!!

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

punched in the face...he he he.. still giggleing about that.

And the walls look gorgeous. I'd be afraid to eat the cake, though. Wouldn't you cry just a little when you made the first cut? You've got the better skill. No one wants to eat yours and destroy it.

But you're both invited to my home to bring cake and lots of trim.

-Lisa said...

I'm gonna have to punch BOTH you and your SIL! Never punched anyone in my life but I am winding up now I tell you!
How much talent can there be in one family!?
In all seriousness, what a gorgeous result. You should both be so proud! The cake is worthy of a magazine cover and the wood work came out wonderful.
I hope the party was a hit!
My best.

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Oh wow...those walls look so good. 3 hours????? I need to get you a cape that looks like wood grain. :) The cake looks better than what you can buy in a bakery. She should go in business.

Layne Bushell said...

Way to go! It looks amazing. I and I love the price and the time it took. My little trimmed out wall took 3 days and the price was 4 times that!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That looks fantastic, Mandi! What a difference! Hey, you are good with a nail gun and she is good with a cake whatever. Stand proud with your three or four hands! : )

WhettenWild said...

That looks so good! Good job! And the cake is of course beautiful. Good job Rach!

Spencer & Lorilyn Crum said...

Whhaaat???? 3 hours are you kidding me that's the most amazing thing I have ever heard. Ever. This looks so good. I wish you were my SIL.

Rebecca D said...

Turned out so cute that I just pinned you... Hope it didn't hurt! :)

Emily said...

Man you guys know how to decorate for a party! Beautiful molding and an amazing cake! Are you guys available for hire? Ü

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

It is so beautiful! Great job on this one!! (I am making progress on my laundry room, should have some pics in 2 weeks...decided to go with Pergo rather than the other stuff!!) hugs, cathy

James and Mary said...

You are the Molding Queen. Seriously. I really want to frame out all my windows but I have never done a project like that. And looking at your SIL's window, her's is recessed just like mine. Could you maybe, pretty please, do a tutorial on how to add trim to windows?? It would be "amazeballs". Thank you a million!

Susan said...

Mandi, just when I think you can't pull anything else out of your hat...you go and do it again! That is amazing and I can't believe how quick and thrifty the project was! Mandi.Tremayne.SupahSTAR. ;)

Teri said...

It's gorgeous - you work wonders with that nail gun, woman!